We are thrilled to announce an amazing new PACTFashion initiative and opportunity for motivated youth to get involved in Toronto’s first ever Youth Fashion Week!
Happening this October 2014, Irene Stickney, PACTFashion project lead and owner of The Make Den sewing school, working in close collaboration with Product Magazine and the Toronto District School Board will be bringing this incredible fashion and learning event to life!
Youth/Love/Fashion will be an annual platform that will help launch talented young designers (aged 14-19). Participating youth will be able to take part in a series of unique PACTFashion workshops and then take part in an exciting, interactive fashion event and represent a community of kindness, collaboration and creativity.
How to Get Involved:
- To participate, high school students across Toronto must submit an illustration of an outfit designed for a woman that they love. Students may also include a short paragraph detailing the story behind the design. Ie. A prom dress for their sister, a suit for their mom, best friend, or a dress for a role model who has inspired them in some way.
- Applications must be delivered in person or by mail to The Make Den at 1244 Bloor St. W. by June 8th (late application date is June 15th). Students are asked to submit a commitment fee of $25~ with their application and illustration. (Cheques can be made out to The Canadian Foundation for the Prevention of Family Violence. Charity receipts provided on request.).
- Students are asked to combine upcycled and new materials in some way to incorporate sustainability into their designs.
- Selected designers will be provided with a budget for their materials as well as guidance in creating their designs.
- Judges will select their top 15 choices from these applications. We will open up a place for the online community to choose one winner as well. These winners will be announced by June 20, 2014 at 12pm and will be enrolled in industry workshops throughout the summer.
DESIGNER WORKSHOP DATES for Chosen Students ***MANDATORY***
These FREE workshops will include Sewing and Patternmaking, Event Production, Styling, Hair, Make-up and Runway workshops for our models. All classes will be held at The Make Den Sewing School.
June 26th & 27th/10am-4pm
July 18th/ 6-9pm
Aug 8th/ 6-9pm
Sept 5th/6-9pm (Garments Due)